Birth Center Tours and Prenatal Classes at Parkland Medical Center
You’re pregnant and probably have many questions: What are the early signs of labor? How often should I feed my newborn? Do babies sleep on their stomachs or backs? And whether this is your first baby or your fourth, it’s normal to feel overwhelmed by conflicting advice from well-meaning family members, neighbors, and friends.
Relax — you got this. The maternity experts at Parkland Medical Center in Derry, New Hampshire help you learn to trust your instincts and feel confident in becoming a parent. Our prenatal classes and birth center tours offer up-to-date information and advice about pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood.
Take a Guided Tour of our Birth Center
Familiarize yourself with our birth center before you go into labor. During our guided tour, you’ll learn where to park and check in on the big day, see our labor and delivery unit up close, peek in the well-baby nursery, and have an opportunity to ask questions about your hospital stay.
Private and group tours are available. Tours are free, but registration is required. Call (877) 642-2362 to schedule.
Enroll in a Class (or Three) or Get Support
Our classes cover a wide range of topics suitable to first-time parents and those in need of a refresher. We also have many evening and weekend options. All classes are held at the Parkland Medical Center Nutfield Professional Building at 44 Birch Street, Entrance D (back of building), Suite 102A in Derry. We offer:
- Preparing for Birth – One Day. During our comprehensive seven-hour class, you’ll learn the latest recommendations to help you prepare for labor and delivery. Topics include the signs and stages of labor, relaxation, comfort measures, and medical interventions. This class also includes a tour of our family birthing center.
- Preparing for Birth – Weeknight Series. This four-part series covers the same topics as our Preparing for Birth – One Day class, but is spread over four, two-hour classes (eight hours total). It also includes a tour of our family birthing center.
- Feeding Your Newborn. This two-hour class led by a board-certified lactation consultant teaches you best practices for feeding your infant. It’s open to expecting moms who are 24-36 weeks pregnant, and partners.
- Sweet Pea & Me. Our 90-minute parent support group presents parenting and health information in a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. We share breastfeeding tips and discuss challenges, ranging from pumping to returning to work. We also offer peer-to-peer conversations and a safe place to share coping strategies related to postpartum care, depression, and other related topics. No matter how many children you have, you’ll leave with new tips, advice, and support. Moms, dads, and babies are welcome.
- Safe Sitter. This 6.5-hour course taught by a Safe Sitter® certified instructor teaches important child care skills to children ages 11 to 13. Topics include safety skills, child care skills, first aid and rescue skills, life and business skills, and CPR. Participants receive a handbook, bag, and completion card.
- Adult, Child, and Infant CPR. This dynamic class is designed for anyone who wants to learn CPR but does not need a course completion card. It teaches the basic skills necessary to perform CPR or help someone who is choking, no matter their age.
Ready to take one of our classes or participate in the Sweet Pea & Me parent support group? Please register online.