Cardiac rehabilitation therapy in Derry, New Hampshire
Through Parkland Medical Center's cardiac rehabilitation program, we'll help you recover following treatment, return to healthy living after a heart event and manage your heart health moving forward. Our cardiology team will also help you transition from surgery to independent care through weekly classes and other resources focused on heart-healthy living.
For more information about our cardiac rehabilitation program, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (877) 642-2362.
Your cardiologist and primary care doctor will likely recommend cardiac rehabilitation to help you recover from events like a heart attack or surgery or to help you manage chronic heart diseases.
Our three-phase program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation and medically directed by a New England Heart & Vascular Institute board-certified cardiologist.
- Exercise physiologists
- Physical therapists
Our three-phase cardiac therapy program
Phase I of cardiac rehab begins when you're an inpatient at Parkland. Phase II starts immediately after discharge and continues to help you return to function as quickly as possible. Then, you can take advantage of our Phase III self-pay program to keep you on the path to living a full, active lifestyle.
Program components typically include:
- A weight management consultation
- Educational programs to help you understand your condition and avoid future heart problems
- Goal-setting for realistic lifestyle changes
- Nutrition services, including one-on-one counseling with our registered dietitians
- Medically supervised progressive exercise conditioning and activity
- Smoking cessation education
- Stress management and emotional support, including integrative care services, such as Reiki and massage therapy
Ongoing heart health support
Through our Cardiac Rehabilitation Maintenance Program, you'll perform independent exercise under Parkland staff supervision. You can also continue to support your heart health through:
- Educational programs
- Health fairs
- Other community events, including the American Heart Association’s annual Heart Walk, Go Red for Women and Red Dress/Wear Red Day
The benefits of cardiac rehabilitation
When you participate in our cardiac rehabilitation program, you’ll learn to:
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle with the help of your cardiac rehabilitation team
- Begin a personalized home exercise program
- Increase your functional capacity and improve your confidence to resume an active lifestyle
- Recognize symptoms of heart disease and when to seek medical attention
- Manage heart attack risk factors
- Return to your regular work and leisure activities
- Work toward your ideal body weight and cholesterol level through diet and exercise
Cardiac rehab admissions
If you need a referral for our cardiac rehabilitation program, call (603) 432-1500. We'll work with your primary care doctor to schedule an appointment. You may be required to take a treadmill stress test as a baseline for creating the most effective exercise program for you.