Surgery remains a key component of cancer care and the most common treatment for many patients. In addition to tumor removal, surgery may be recommended to keep a cancer from occurring. Other surgeries may be used for diagnosing cancer, easing pain, relieving side effects, supporting related procedures—such as inserting a chemotherapy port—or reconstructing damaged tissue.
Skilled, Experienced Cancer Surgeons
Parkland Medical Center’s surgical oncology physicians and clinical staff draw on their extensive experience and skill to deliver the best possible results. We also partner with cancer surgery experts from the nationally accredited Sofia Gordon Cancer Center at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center and our sister facility, Portsmouth Regional Hospital, to deliver top quality care close to home.
You benefit from the range of surgical techniques and options available, our broad experience with complex cases, our high standards of practice and the successful patient outcomes that stem from our multispecialty approach to cancer intervention and lifelong follow–up.
Our team offers you choices across the entire range of cancer care, from minor procedures like removing precancerous colon polyps to performing mastectomies for women at high risk of breast cancer, and we recommend minimally invasive alternatives whenever possible.
Advanced Technology Enhances Parkland’s Cancer Surgery Services
The more often surgeons and clinical staff perform a procedure, the more skilled and proficient they become—all to your benefit when you’re the one who needs surgery. At Parkland Medical Center, you’ll appreciate the extensive experience of our medical professionals and partners who expertly deploy the advanced technologies that reduce scarring and blood loss during surgery, speed your recovery and help you quickly return to your active life.
Your Cancer Surgery Options
Whether as an inpatient or an outpatient, you and your physician can select from the most up–to–date surgical services for cancer, including:
- Endobronchial and endoscopic ultrasound for precise images and tissue biopsy of complex body systems
- Sentinel node biopsy to determine the extent of cancer in adjacent lymph nodes
- Minimally invasive endoscopic surgical staging (tissue sampling/biopsy) and resection
- Access to our regional cancer care partners who provide tumor—targeted, minimally invasive interventional radiology procedures, such as:
- Radioembolization — Injecting radio particles into a tumor
- Chemoembolization — Injecting chemotherapy into a tumor
- High—heat microwave ablation, radiofrequency ablation (RFA) and RFA–assisted resection
- Extreme–cold–based cryoablation techniques
- Minimally invasive/laparoscopic surgery, including procedures for gynecologic oncology, which means much smaller incisions than traditional surgery
- Reconstructive surgery and alternatives to total mastectomy
- Access to neurosurgery at Portsmouth Regional Hospital, with Brainlab® image guidance for precision and accuracy in addressing brain tumors
Comprehensive Cancer Care
You’ll receive comprehensive cancer care before, during and after your surgical procedures at Parkland Medical Center. Our teams of diverse clinical specialists—using their pooled medical expertise—help manage complex health situations involving multiple body systems, such as your heart, lungs, liver and kidneys. We provide complete laboratory services, critical care and infection monitoring, as well as personalized recommendations for your treatment and follow–up, with continuing involvement provided by our local cancer care team members.
Learn more about preparing for surgery at Parkland Medical Center.
Explore the Cancer Center in our online Health Library.
Rehabilitation & Recovery
Support your recovery and regain function during and after treatment by taking advantage of the extensive inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services available to you through Parkland Medical Center. Our compassionate clinicians, nurses and therapists deliver the expert care you need. Your overall recuperation, return to daily activities and outlook on life can also benefit from our extensive cancer recovery and support resources, lunch–and–learn sessions, healing arts workshops, palliative care, pain management and more.
View our online calendar for related classes and events.
Scheduled for Surgery?
Preregister now to save time.