Advanced Back and Spine Care in Southern New Hampshire
Back pain and spine conditions can make even simple activities like walking or climbing stairs a challenge. At Parkland Medical Center in Derry, we help eliminate your pain and get you back to doing what you love. Our expert back and spine specialists offer comprehensive nonsurgical and surgical treatments for back pain or injury.
Health Risk Assessments
Find out how healthy you are by taking our FREE online health risk assessments:
If surgery is necessary, we find the best way to treat your condition using advanced tools and techniques, including interventional spine procedures and minimally invasive spine surgery. We give you more options to reduce side effects, pain, shorten recovery time, and lower the risk of future complications.
Back and Neck Conditions We Treat
Back or neck pain is caused by damage from injury, disease, or wear and tear to the spinal bones (called vertebrae), muscles, nerves, discs (cushion between the vertebrae), or tendons. Pain can happen in the cervical (neck), thoracic (middle), or lumbar (lower) areas of the spine.
The orthopedic and spine teams at Parkland Medical Center use a multispecialty approach to diagnose and care for your condition. We treat a wide range of back and spine conditions, including:
- Bone spurs: bone overgrowths
- Degenerative disc disease: breakdown of the discs
- Herniated discs: ruptured or bulged discs
- Osteoarthritis: cartilage in the joints wears down
- Sciatica: nerve irritation
- Scoliosis and kyphosis: spinal curvature
- Spinal stenosis and myelopathy: narrowing of the spinal canal
- Spinal tumors and cancer: growths in or around the spinal column or cord
- Spine fractures: caused by trauma, injury, or arthritis
- Spine infections: osteomyelitis
- Spondylolisthesis: one vertebra slips over another
- Sports injuries: caused by repetitive movements or trauma
Nonsurgical and Minimally Invasive Back and Neck Treatment
We evaluate your overall health and lifestyle to recommend the safest, simplest, and most appropriate treatments. Parkland Medical Center offers nonsurgical and minimally invasive therapies, such as:
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation: Strengthen and stabilize the core using medically supervised fitness plans developed by board-certified physical therapy doctors called physiatrists.
- Spinal injections: Involve image-guided technology to deliver medications to relieve pain and reduce inflammation. These include epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, sacroiliac joint injections, nerve blocks, and trigger point injections.
- Nerve stimulation techniques: Deliver low-voltage electrical current to relieve pain, as in transcutaneous nerve stimulation (TENS) therapy and implanted peripheral nerve stimulation (PNS) devices.
- Interventional spine procedures: For example, radiofrequency ablation that uses heat to destroy tissue, such as tumors or the sensory nerves that cause pain. We also perform vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty for spinal fractures.
Advanced Spine Surgery at Parkland Medical Center
The experienced spine surgeons at Parkland Medical Center perform leading spine surgery techniques.
In many cases, we can stabilize joints, decompress pinched nerves, fuse bones, and correct deformities — all through a few small incisions. This means less trauma to muscles and tissue, resulting in shorter operations, less pain after surgery, and faster recovery. Many patients go home within a day or two.
We offer a variety of spine surgeries including:
- Discectomy/microdiscectomy: Removes all or part of the disc, or the cushion between the vertebrae.
- Laminectomy or laminotomy: Removes part of the back bone which covers the spinal canal to relieve pressure on the spinal nerves. Often performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Foraminotomy: Removes bone or tissue to open the space where the nerves leave the spinal canal, sometimes also performed with spinal fusion surgery.
- Disc replacement surgery: Replaces a damaged disc is with an artificial one.
- Kyphoplasty/vertebroplasty: Treats spinal fractures, eases pain, and restores height. Kyphoplasty uses a balloon to create a space, which is filled with medical cement. In vertebroplasty, medical cement is injected into the spongy vertebral bone.
- Spinal fusion: To increase spine stability by joining two vertebrae using bone grafts and sometimes implants, such as rods and screws. We perform XLIF, or eXtreme lateral interbody fusion, a minimally invasive technique to access the spine through the side (lateral). We also perform AxiaLIF, or Axial lumbar interbody fusion, a minimally invasive spine surgery for the lower back.
The Best Spine and Back Care in Southern New Hampshire
Parkland Medical Center offers the highest quality orthopedic and spine care to improve your quality of life. Patients choose us for:
- Multispecialty care from a team dedicated to you. Our team includes board-certified and fellowship trained experts in spinal surgery, orthopedic surgery, interventional radiology, physiatry, anesthesiology, and pain management, who work together to provide whole-patient care.
- Care throughout the journey. We’re here every step of the way with case management and care coordination customized to your needs.
- Specialized programs before and after surgery. In addition to advanced diagnostics, our hospital also offers pain management services and both inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation services from licensed therapists who understand spine conditions. This means you can get everything you need in one place, from one team.
- Care in a full-service hospital. If you need surgery, it’s at a hospital with all the services and amenities you need for a comfortable recovery.
- Convenient walk-in orthopedic urgent care with no appointment necessary. Our convenient Parkland Urgent Care at Salem, New Hampshire offers fast care for minor orthopedic injuries, such as sprains or strains. You save time and get the benefit of Parkland orthopedic expertise in a convenient location with extended hours.