From the moment you feel chest pain, our heart experts are prepared to take control, making swift and collaborative decisions about your care, from the ambulance to your hospital bedside.
That’s part of what it means to be an accredited Chest Pain Center with Primary PCI, a distinction awarded to Parkland Medical Center by the American College of Cardiology (ACC).
Experts in Urgent Coronary Care
When minutes count, our experienced cardiovascular team can stop a heart attack in its tracks with medication, cardiac stenting or angioplasty. Our LifeNet system allows emergency responders to alert the ER and activate the cardiac catheterization lab for a patient with a possible blocked artery. Our median “door-to-balloon” time, the interval between a heart patient’s arrival in the ER and a procedure to open a blockage, is under an hour—well within the American Heart Association’s standard of 90 minutes.
In partnership with the New England Heart & Vascular Institute (NEHVI), the Parkland Chest Pain Center provides access to comprehensive cardiac care—from prevention and early diagnosis through treatment and cardiac rehabilitation. Advanced treatments include induced therapeutic hypothermia for cooling a patient’s body temperature to help the brain recover from changes that occur during cardiac arrest.
Get Help Fast
If you think you or someone else is experiencing a heart attack, get help now. Call 911 and go to a hospital emergency room immediately.
What Is a Chest Pain Center?
A Chest Pain Center earns its accreditation by meeting rigorous standards for providing effective and efficient assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients who may be experiencing a heart attack. That means processes are in place to:
- Reduce the time from onset of symptoms to diagnosis and treatment
- Treat patients more quickly during the critical window of time when the integrity of the heart muscle can be preserved
- Monitor patients when it’s not certain a heart attack has occurred to ensure that they’re not sent home too quickly or needlessly admitted to the hospital
Quality Care Means Better Outcomes
As an accredited Chest Pain Center, Parkland Medical Center:
- Integrates the hospital emergency department with the local emergency medical system
- Assesses, diagnoses and treats patients quickly
- Effectively treats patients with low risk for acute coronary syndrome
- Ensures Chest Pain Center personnel competency and training
- Continually seeks to improve processes and procedures
- Supports community outreach and education about heart attack symptoms