|Kidney and Ureter|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Hernia near the surgical site
- Damage to tissues or organs
- Persistent leakage of urine
- Blockage of the ureter
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs
- Blood thinners, such as clopidogrel (Plavix) or warfarin (Coumadin)
Description of Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- If you are sent home with a drain or catheter, it may be removed one week after surgery. If no catheter was used, a follow-up appointment should be scheduled after surgery.
- Ask your doctor about when it is safe to shower, bathe, or soak in water.
- If you are given antibiotics, you need to take the full course. Do not stop early.
- Be sure to follow your doctor’s instructions for recovery.
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding or any discharge from the incision site
- Nausea and/or vomiting that you cannot control with the medicines you were given after surgery, or which persist for more than two days after discharge from the hospital
- Pain that you cannot control with the medicines you have been given
- Pain, burning, urgency or frequency of urination, or persistent bleeding in the urine
- Difficulty urinating
- Any symptoms like those you had before surgery
American Urological Association http://www.auanet.org/
Urology Health.org http://www.urologyhealth.org/
Canadian Urological Association http://www.cua.org/
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
Pyeloplasty FAQ. University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital website. Available at: http://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/education/pyeloplasty/index.html . Accessed December 28, 2012.
Pyeloplasty. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/pyeloplasty/urology%5Foverview.aspx . Accessed December 28, 2012.
Inagaki T, Rha KH, Ong AM, Kavoussi LR, Jarrett TW. Laparoscopic pyeloplasty: current status. BJU Int . 2005;95(Suppl 2):102-105.
McAleer IM, Kaplan GW. Renal function before and after pyeloplasty: does it improve? J Urol . 1999;162(3 Pt 2):1041-1044.
Wash PC, Vaughan ED, Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick A, Partin AW. Campbell’s Urology . 8th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders; 2002.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 11/2012 -
- Update Date: 11/26/2012 -